Bansko is well known it’s inexpensive ski holidays but we think that it has so much more to offer. Read on for 10 more reasons to visit Bansko:
1. It’s different from the norm, where else do you find a snowboarder clad in all the modern gear crossing the road at the same time as a herd of goats, a goat herder and his dog? Traditional life is still carrying on in Bansko, despite the brand new ski resort that popped up above the town in 2005.
2. Something for everyone. If you don’t fancy skiing on every day of your holiday there are museums, a narrow gauge railway, paragliding, 4×4 safaris, micro-lite flights and an abundance of 5 star spas for some serious relaxation.
3. A huge choice of restaurants. Ranging from traditional taverns to pizzerias, steak houses or quick and easy bar snacks to fine dining in elegant surroundings, Bansko has them all.
4. Bansko’s Old Town is a UNESCO protected heritage site, we never get bored of roaming through the cobbled streets, finding atmospheric hidden taverns and hand made pottery shops around every corner.
5. Nightlife, Bansko might not have as crazy an apres-ski scene as some resorts but it if you want a lively night out it has plenty to choose from. There’s the quirky little renovated house ‘Bash Bar’ that is popular with locals and seasonnaires, ‘Amigo’s’ have excellent live music and bar staff that like to do a bit a flame throwing, the more chilled out bar ‘Pirin 75’ and new for the 14/15 season is ‘The Hub’ which promises to have something for everyone with performers already lined up for the season…. watch this space!
6. It’s great value for money. We couldn’t leave this out – a round of 5 drinks in Bansko will easily cost less than £15 which is great for your holiday spending money fund!
7. Fast new lifts, Bansko’s current infrastructure was all new from 2005 onwards meaning that the ski lifts are modern and fast (except for the three man that was leftover from communist ski holidays – it’s best to only use this one if you need a nice long rest).
8. Good variety of pistes. Beginners have several gentle slopes to choose from and can gradually work their way around the mountain on increasingly challenging runs and snowboarders can easily avoid most of the drag lifts in resort if they want to! Intermediates have some fantastic wide slopes to cruise on and advanced skiers can try out the World Cup blacks.
9. Accessible off-piste. There is a huge amount of amazing off-piste in Bansko that can be accessed from the lifts, without having to hike. It ranges from easy open runs to technical, steep tree runs and we love it!
10. Stunning scenery on the Bansko mountain. As a UNESCO protected area, building is limited on the mountain which means that you wont see any high-rise monstrosities looming over you during your day on the slopes.